Tuesday, March 7, 2017

An Interview With Author Carolyn M. Bowen


31g-VDyoJRL._UX250_

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

Answer: There are some things you just know and for me being a writer is one of them. I can’t remember when I didn’t love books and the idea of writing.
How long does it take you to write a book?
Answer: It depends! Anywhere from four months to years. The Long Road Home was written in four months while Cross-Ties historical fiction took several years. The difference was the research required for Cross-Ties and the painstaking outlining and editing.
The Long Road Home was inspired writing from travel to Charleston, Savannah, and the Florida Coast. I sat at my computer each day, and the words flowed. It was like the story wanted to be told through me. I’m ready to re-experience this writing style in a new book. <Smiles>
What is your work schedule like when you’re writing?
Answer: My work schedule when writing is completely focused on writing. Write-Eat-Sleep-Repeat
What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
Answer: I write in my jammies with my cat, Tooker, lying on a bean bag at my feet.
I don’t like many distractions when writing. That includes people, television, radio, phone, computer, etc. When I’m writing you’d probably be unable to reach me on a personal level.
How do your books get published?
Answer: I contract with skilled publishers to complete the formatting for my books. I am an author who follows the process from inception of the idea, writing and publishing through marketing.
Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
Answer: My books are inspired from travel and experiencing the culture of different regions. I believe the Universe provides the answers we seek and are thankful for God’s blessings on my writing journey.
When did you write your first book and how old were you?
Answer: I wrote my first book in my twenties and my first short story in my teens. However, I got caught up in raising my family and put writing on the backburner. Now that my children are grown, I’m able to pursue my writing dreams full-time. My only responsibilities now are my cats, and they bring me comfort and joy.
Tooker 2017 (1)
What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
Answer: I love dining out and discovering new restaurants. Right now, Tokyo Bay is my favorite sushi place. I’m confident that our future travel will provide even greater food experiences.
I also enjoy shopping especially at charity thrift shops where unusual things find their way to their shelves – then to my home.
I love girly stuff. I could spend half a day at a beauty bar like Sephora. The facial massages and the new seasonal products in makeup and colognes make for a fun outing.
What does your family think of your writing?
Answer: The whole package of writing and marketing drives my family crazy. When writing, I am in my own little world and come out when finished with the day’s work. When promoting my book on social media and review sites, I am very out-going and spontaneous in my communications. A real bubbly happy personality – the real bold me comes out.
What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
Answer: I’ve found that technical skills and the creative writing process are both important for publishing a great book. I’ve been challenged to learn new skills that I’d never considered prior to publishing The Long Road Home. These achievements feel great and are now considered high points in my life.
How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
Answer: I’ve written four books. The Long Road Home is my latest fiction, and my favorite.
Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?
Answer: I think it’s important to keep reading books that inspire you. Life experiences, however, are the most important things in my opinion when writing, even when those experiences turn into fiction.
14500480_1190297494374749_6246255471894625827_o.png

41tBzBMRZZL._SY346_

AMAZON


16997791_1388796677858162_1484899271149293966_n

AMAZON – FREE ON KINDLE UNLIMITED

No comments:

Post a Comment